The increasing availability of data, combined with digital connectivity, is transforming transport through travel planning apps and digital maps and fuelling advances in machine learning, enabling self-driving vehicles and predictive analytics. Policy development and delivery can also be further improved by better access to and use of data. The full benefits will only be realised when we address the range of barriers which prevent the better discovery/accessibility and sharing and use of data. Department for Transport is currently developing its approach to how the department and the wider transport sector can be supported to make better use of data by addressing these barriers.
We work with our agencies and partners to support the transport network that helps UK businesses and gets people and goods travelling around the country. We plan and invest in transport infrastructure to keep the UK on the move.
We’re responsible for:
• providing policy, guidance, funding to English local authorities to help them run and maintain their road networks, improve passenger and freight travel, and develop new major transport schemes
• investing in, maintaining and operating the motorway and trunk road network in England
• setting the strategic direction for the rail industry in England and Wales – funding investment in infrastructure through Network Rail, awarding and managing rail franchises, and regulating rail fares
• improving English bus services through funding and regulation
• working to make our roads less congested & polluted by promoting lower carbon transport, including cycling and walking
• encouraging the use of new technology e.g. smart ticketing and low carbon vehicles
• maintaining high standards of safety and security in transport
• supporting the maritime sector by producing the overall strategy and planning policy for ports in England and Wales
• setting national aviation policy, working with airlines, airports, the Civil Aviation Authority and NATS (the UK’s air traffic service)
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road