F17 helps apply technology to transform customer experience and efficiency in the transport sector. We have a flexible approach, and a breadth of skills across a range of intelligent mobility areas – often getting involved in the early stages of transformation programmes to help identify opportunities and set strategic direction.
- Retail and Ticketing – Retail and ticketing is a core area of expertise. This covers all aspects from internet retailing, barcode ticketing, mobile ticketing, complex smartcard standards (ITSO), through to next generation “account based” solutions – with particular depth of experience in rail. F17 has provided consultancy support to a range of private and public sector clients – covering not just the technology, but understanding the customer needs and issues applying the technology. (Not forgetting the political aspects and supplier ecosystems). We recognise that ticketing can be complex, full of jargon, and hard to understand – we can provide plain English introduction to ticketing seminars or tailored training – which can be invaluable to new managers or suppliers in the sector.
- Data feeds and APIs – We have worked with a wide range of data sources, including timetables, fares, reservations and real-time data. We have implemented solutions for web, mobile and display screens using the industry leading journey planners. We have used data feeds for ad-hoc analysis, and to develop microsites to bring to life consultancy projects. Our ability to quickly work with real data sources can quickly bring quantification into consultancy projects.
- Data visualisation and analysis – We analyse complex datasets for insights, and present these in an engaging and highly visual manner. We have invested in specialist data processing, mapping and visualisation tools, to allow efficient analysis and presentation of large datasets. By having hands on analytical skills and appropriate tools, we can combine strategic thinking and analysis – identifying and investigating new patterns that emerge as we go, which is much harder to achieve when analysis is being undertaken by another party. We have worked with many of the more common transport industry data sets, such as LENNON rail sales data.
- Rail expertise – We have a deep understanding of the UK passenger railway. This covers the key market features, franchise and regulatory structure, systems and suppliers. We maintain an extensive library of reference and briefing materials. We are well placed to support potential suppliers to the market, through briefings or support to your bid teams – or to brief teams starting work in the sector.
- Digital health-check – Outside of transport, we can apply our technology skills and experience to many contexts – offering an external perspective on the digital opportunities for your business. It can be difficult for smaller businesses to keep up with the fast pace of digital technology. Looking at the business as a whole, or focusing on a specific area, our Digital Health Check provides practical suggestions for how your business could embrace digital technology to improve customer experience, and/or drive efficiency.
- Bespoke solutions – We can develop small-scale bespoke solutions – usually as prototypes. Recent work has included: an online event registration system, capturing registrant details and taking payment by card or Paypal; bespoke display screens – taking information from client system APIs to provide fully automated information displays. We have also developed a wide range of prototypes, to grow our understanding and support our work. These may not always have the most polished user experience, but are valuable for helping complete our strategic knowledge with a working knowledge of the practicalities of implementation. They include: online rail journey planner; mapping of UK airspace; mapping of tourist attractions by journey duration.
3 & 4 Park Court