Enabling multi-operator smart ticketing is key to getting people back to the bus and to driving behaviour change. But how do we achieve this?
At TRANSPORT Smart Class, London & South East England 2023, Guy Sutherland – Head of Bids and Partnerships at UrbanThings – explored the tools at our disposal, including world class journey planning apps, smart mobile ticketing apps, ITSO smartcards, cEMV technologies, and more!
Part of Paragon ID, UK-based UrbanThings provide cities, local authorities and passenger transport operators with a smart transport platform for mobile ticketing and reservations, live vehicle tracking and rich passenger analytics. With more than a decade’s experience, their technology powers over 130 million journeys each year across the UK, Europe and North America.
Guy’s presentation also outlined the benefits of an ‘All-in-one’ solution and considered what the future of transportation might look like. Adam Toone (recently appointed UrbanThings’ new CEO) and Nicole Easden added their expert knowledge during the roundtable discussions.
- Let’s Encourage Behaviour Change – A fully loaded double decker bus can take 75 cars off the road; If everyone switched just one car journey a month to bus, there would be a billion fewer journeys and a saving of 2 million tonnes of carbon dioxide per year;
- World Class Journey Planning Apps;
- Real-Time Information Apps;
- Smart Mobile Ticketing Apps;
- ITSO Smartcards – Longer-term passes; Transferable passes; Multi-operator products; Encouraging behaviour change;
- One Bus, Many Apps?
- All-in-One (e.g. UrbanHub) – MaaS APIs; Ticketing & Payments; Passenger Website; Passenger App; Back-Office Portal;
- Advantages to Passengers of a Single Cost-Effective Solution – Deploy a passenger app that can be multi-operator and multi-modal; Real and practical multi-operator ticketing schemes; Encourage bus patronage through access to real-time information, ticketing, and different mobility options in the same place; Give a platform for their voice to be heard;
- Advantages to Operators & Authorities – One central platform where you can monitor, plan, and improve the shared mobility offering; Help your passengers make the sustainable transport choice, and make an action for positive change (sustainable services for smarter cities); Create a strong network brand identity; Create a community impact with a highly visible, future proof solution
If you satisfy our regular delegate qualification criteria but were unable to join us in London on October 17th for the live in-person event at Greencoat Place, CLICK HERE and complete the short “Download form” (located at the bottom of the post) to receive a unique link enabling free access to the presentation video recordings and slides (including the film footage and slides from Guy’s initial presentation).
Those qualifying to receive the rich presentation content from this event include commissioning, procurement, trialling, partnering and policy leads, senior influencers, strategic decision makers and planners from local authorities (e.g. city, borough, metropolitan, district and county councils); public transport operators; regional transport partnerships, sub-regional transport bodies, combined authorities, integrated transport authorities and passenger transport executives; highways authorities and road operators; government and supporting national transport agencies; fleet operators, parking operators, prime contractors etc.